our sweet, little joel seems to have a knack for having accidents. when he was 13 months old, he grabbed the just un-plugged curling iron and burned his hand pretty severely. a few months back, he climbed out of his pack 'n play when he was supposed to be napping and attempted to scale our dresser, toppling it over on himself. he got pretty lucky, though. it didn't land on him and he walked away with just a big scratch down his face. he still has the scar from the scratch, but i'm hoping it will fade with time, so he can be his usual, pretty self once again. these are just a couple of the more memorable injuries, but i have another to add to his repertoire. my family is hanging out at lake tahoe at the moment. the cabin we are staying in has this huge stone fireplace right in the middle of the family room... let me just interject to say that anyone who is contemplating putting one of these in the middle of the living area where there might be children running around... this is not an intelligent idea. when i first walked into the house, i remember looking at said fireplace and thinking, "that is an accident waiting to happen." sure enough, on monday morning, joel slipped on a toy boat that was laying precariously next to the stone fireplace and cut his lower lip open on the edge of the stone... sweet. ben held joel with ice on his lip and he cried for... a really long time. it bled for probably 45 minutes. yuck. i gave him some motrin and after he calmed down we put him to bed and he slept for like 4 1/2 hours! i guess he cried himself into a comatose state. i'm happy to report, though, that it's healing quite quickly and he seems to be his usual, charming self. i'm sure as you are reading this, you are probably thinking that maybe we are unfit parents and you are probably right... most of these accidents that have occurred could have been prevented by simple precautions. however, i think it's just in joel's blood to be accident prone. thanks ben. :)
here's my dad next to the fireplace of death.