Thursday, July 5, 2007

a run for freedom

on the morning of july 4, ben and i ran the provo freedom run 10k. it was incredibly fun and i'm excited to say that ben has caught the race fever. he usually doesn't enjoy running, but he loved running the race so much that he proclaimed to me after we finished, "i want to run another one, ...like tomorrow!" yes! ...yet another loved one has succumbed to keeping me company in my running endeavors.  the only problem...  ben is like a million times faster than me.  on the saturday before the race, we ran 6 miles together and he was practically running circles around me.  yeah, it really bugged me.  here i am, a year and half of running regularly and two marathons later and i couldn't keep up with ben who had seriously been running for ...a week.  dang those boys.  that's okay, though.  i'm convinced that running with ben can only be good for me and will help push me faster than i would be able to push myself.  plus, it will be a fun thing to do together.  ben really wants to run a marathon this fall and hey... i'm always game for a marathon.  hopefully we'll find out where we are moving soon so we can pick a marathon to do.  

i really wanted to get under 54 minutes for the 10k and i did it!  just barely...

whitney's time:  53 minutes 56.6 seconds

ben's time:  53 minutes 56.2 seconds

i was really pleased that i had met my goal.  and thanks, ben, for pushing me and especially for sticking with me even though we were going way slower than you were capable of.


7 comments:

Kristalyn said...

Hey, Whitney! Of course I remember you...I stayed at your house in California over the weekend once. I remember your mom gave us really good strawberies! :) I was excited to hear from you! Your boys are so cute!
That's awesome that you are so into running. I love it, too. Here in Colorado, they don't have nearly as many races, though. Hope all is well with you!

Lisa Busath said...

Way to go, Ben and Whitney! That's a fun thing to do together. I must admit that's irritating to be running for a year and a half and then have your husband run you into the ground after a week! Not fair! But seriously, Whit, you look fantastic, so the year and a half of running has paid off! Love, Mom

Molly Bice-Jackson said...

you look AMAZING!! What a fun thing to do together. I really, really wanted to run the Park City 5k but I had to sing at two different functions that morning. Grrrr.. I never thought I'd want to run more than sing! (I guess it all depends on who you're singing for and at what time in the morning!). I need some tips on good running shoes. i love my saucony's, but they're getting a little old. Any suggestions? (I want all your secret running tips)

Alexandra and Benjamin said...

I love those photos- especially the second one. I think it is so fun that you will be running together. Ben and I started biking together about 6 months ago and it has been awesome. It is the best to exercise with your hubby. Ben is way faster than me, but I know it has pushed me to up my speed. Is that a running skirt you are wearing? I LOVE IT!

Trent & Emily Davies said...

That's awesome!!! I need to catch the running fever...apparently its the cool thing to do nowadays! Oh and by the way...I would be mad at Ben too if he was running circles around me after only 1 week!

Kadi said...

You guys are so AWESOME!! Joel would love it if I would run with him...but, no. You two are so cute.

janaya said...

oh ya, well burton and i... don't do anything. :) ok, well we did start to play tennis... but we suck... equally, so it works. if he was better than me, i'd quit. jk. i'd probably just sneak out while he wasn't home and practice so i could kick his butt when he wasn't expecting it! haha... ya right, who am i kidding? i'd quit.